Why should you do strength training?
Strength training is one of the most important aspects of any core strength exercise program. Yes, it is important to do cardio workouts and stretching, but the core to any weight program or general health exercise program must include strength training.
Strength training includes lifting weights or resistance training - the muscles do all the work. This kind of workout gives huge benefits to your body. At the basic level a regular training program just once or twice a week will increase the strength of your muscles. This alone allows you to function more effectively in everyday life. But looking beyond this basic strength training, there are massive benefits to many other systems in your body.
Let’s start off by looking at the bones and joints. Bone is alive, it grows and responds to the load applied to it. One of the most effective ways to increase your bone strength, and your bone mineral density is via strength training. By regularly participating in this type of exercise program research has shown that your bones get stronger. Furthermore, the attachment points for your tendons and ligaments associated with joints become stronger.
Strength training will also increase your muscle mass. By increasing your muscle mass you will increase your metabolism. This means you burn more fat, by just doing what you do in everyday life. You will have more energy, more strength and will burn much more fat.
The benefits of strength training are too many to discuss in one short article, so we will list some of these benefits and expand on them in future articles
- Increases your metabolism
- Increases fat burning
- Strengthens your bones
- Strengthens your joints preventing injuries
- Decreases the likelihood of osteoporosis
- Decreases the likelihood of diabetes
- Decreases the chances of heart disease
- Decreases the possibility of cancer
- Decreases the likelihood of neuro degenerative diseases
- Decreases the potential of Alzheimer’s disease
- Increases the strength of ligaments, tendons, cartilage, and joint capsules
- Strengthen your immune system
- Increases your energy levels
- Increases muscle tone
- Improves balance
- Prevents falls
- Increases cognitive ability
- Improves decision making
- Improves your posture
- Increases mobility
- Improves flexibility
- Prevents back pain
- Improves self confidence and self esteem
- Aids in functional day to day strength